Updated: Apr 18
You've finally bought yourself a new foundation. You come home excited with your new purchase and can't wait to wear it the next day. So morning is finally here and you apply your new foundation...….Oh Dear!
I know so many people who have this issue. They take themselves off to buy a new foundation, try it on their jawline as all the advice suggests or they get colour matched by someone at an expensive makeup counter, wear it the next day and realise its three shades off. How frustrating.
Now buying the wrong foundation a few times can become a very costly mistake. Unless you happen to be best friends with a makeup artist it is very difficult to find the right foundation.
Here are a few reasons why...
- The artificial lighting in department stores does not reflect natural daylight, therefore the colour you are matched will look completely different when you wear it in natural daylight
- Every foundation has a different chemical composition. If the foundation is not suited to your skin type it can look a completely different colour after a few hours wear. This is called #oxidisation. So even if you were to be colour matched correctly, if the foundation oxidises on your skin after a few hours its useless.
- Due to the purposes of hygiene, #makeup is non refundable so buying the wrong shade is a complete waste of money.
Here's my two top tips on how to always buy the correct foundation....
1. When buying at a beauty counter and after being colour matched
ALWAYS ask for three foundation samples. The colour you are matched, one shade lighter and one shade darker. This way you can go away and test the different shades yourself. Beauty counters rarely offer samples as they want to make the sale but if you don't ask you don't get and this hack will save you a lot of money.
2. This second tip goes for high street #beauty stores and also department stores. If they don't have samples, take your own sample pots. You can buy little lip balm tubs for next to nothing. Take some of these with you and ask the staff to add a couple of pumps of the foundation for you. They will be more than happy to assist and you'll have at least one days wear of foundation in three different shades which is all you need to make an informed decision.
Finally, when trying on #foundation or any beauty product for that matter it needs to be applied on clean freshly moisturised skin. If not, you won't get a true idea of what the colour looks like or whether it will suit your #skin type. Ideally you need to wear it all day to see if it suits your skin. I always advise my clients to wear their makeup for as long as they can. Only then will you know how it behaves on your skin.
If you need any further advice feel free to contact me.
I hope you've enjoyed this blog